Otis Chandler on Censorship & Goodreads being a site for Readers first

OTIS CHANDLER SAID "However I can’t think of a way to prevent it, and I didn’t see any ideas in the thread either (I did skim though). I hope you’ll appreciate that if we just start deleting ratings whenever we feel like it, that we’ve gone down a censorship road that doesn’t take us to a good place."

Yes Otis. Exactly.

Readers first and foremost?  More like the many ways in which authors and their products can bring in the money for GrAmazon by selling the readers data and reviews in as many ways as they can.

There is a balance, you might think, between keeping the producers of data and advertising copy (aka 'reviews') happy and marketing. If you piss them off they might go and then what would you have to sell?  But you would be wrong, there isn't. There is a critical mass of books and reviews, once that has been achieved and that was before the Amazon buyout, the site will continue. Most people are not reviewers or heavy users of GrAmazon, they just look for books, add books and most importantly, buy books by clicking through to Amazon.

This is why Otis would not allow there to be site-wide announcement of the new policy of deleting any reviews and shelves that the StGRB were kicking up such a fuss about in the media. The general population of readers are happily grazing, sheep-like,fattening up on the green dollar meadows of GrAmazon, why disturb them?  The only people who know are the 11K members of Feedback group, and how many of them are regular participants, 1K? If that.  That's us. We are irrelevant.