Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor

“Once upon a time, a little girl was raised by monsters.

But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone."

That pretty much sums up the whole book.

I have mixed feelings about this book and I'm not sure how to really write a good review about it, but I will try.

Well, first of all, I enjoyed this book. The writing was beautiful. It flowed so easily. The world-building was amazing. I loved the Chimera and Angels world, their history, how she told the story of how does each of them thinks it all began and how the war started, how she went back and forth from past to present, how it all unfolded slowly, and how everything fell into place when you finally know the truth about Karou's history. I also liked the ending. Although it is sad, I loved that this book didn't have an HEA. In a series, I like a well earned HEA. And I'm interested on how Karou and Akiva's relationship will develop in book 2 after this book's ending.

Speaking of the ending, that is one of the things I didn't like. It really annoyed me that the book ended in the middle of the a scene which I have been waiting to read ever since Karou couldn't go to her family and wrote "to be continued". Ugh. Also, I didn't like the relationship between Karou and Akiva. They are like a much better version of Romeo and Juliet, which is a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that I loved the idea of forbidden love. How they looked past the fact that they are supposed to be enemies and loved each other. The bad thing is that their relationship seemed to lack any depth and it just didn't seem real. Both of them seemed too perfect.  And we didn't see any development in their relationship. I don't want to read that they fell in love in like a month. I wanted the author show me how they fell in love. Isn't that why people read romance novels in the first place? I just thought the relationship was a little rushed. So as for the Paranormal part in this book, it was great but for the romance part.. meh.

All in all, I liked it but I didn't love it. And I'm really interested in what will happens next so I will read book 2 soon. I also recommend it. You might like better this book than I did.